|Formerly||The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company|
|Traded as||TSX: MFC\\ NYSE: MFC\\ SEHK: 945\\ PSE: MFC|
|Industry||Financial services (insurance)|
|Founded||June 23, 1887; (1887-06-23)|
|Headquarters||200 Bloor Street East\\ Toronto, Ontario\\ M4W 1E5|
|Products||Asset management, Commercial banking, Commercial mortgages, Consumer banking, Group benefits, Insurance, Investments, Mutual funds, Private banking, Real estate, Reinsurance, Securities, Underwriting, Wealth management|
|Subsidiaries||- John Hancock Financial - Manulife Investment Management - Manulife Bank of Canada|
Manulife Financial Corporation (also known as Financière Manuvie in Quebec) is a Canadian multinational insurance company and financial services provider headquartered in Toronto, Ontario.
The company operates in Canada and Asia as “Manulife” and in the United States primarily through its John Hancock Financial division.
Manulife Bank of Canada is a wholly owned subsidiary of Manulife.
In 1996, the company entered an agreement with Sinochem to form Shanghai-based Zhong Hong Life Insurance Co. Ltd., China’s first joint venture life insurance company, and was granted a license that made it the second foreign insurer to be allowed re-entry into China.
In 2002, Manulife–Sinochem Life Insurance Co. Ltd. was granted approval by the China Insurance Regulatory Commission (CIRC) to open a branch office in Guangzhou, China, the first branch license granted to a foreign invested joint–venture life insurance company.
In 2003, Manulife-Sinochem received approval for a branch office in Beijing, the first multiple-branch license granted to a foreign-invested joint venture life insurance company.
- The firm is now licensed to operate in more than 50 Chinese cities. On September 29, 2003, Manulife announced its intent to acquire the Boston-based insurance company John Hancock Financial (including a Canadian subsidiary, Maritime Life) for $10.4 billion in a stock-for-stock merger.
- The merged entity would initially be led by John Hancock’s CEO David F. D’Alessandro, but he would step down in June 2004.
In 2010, the company announced that it had purchased Fortis Bank SA/NV’s 49% ownership in ABN AMRO TEDA Fund Management Co. Ltd.
- The new joint venture, Manulife TEDA Fund Management Company Ltd. (Manulife TEDA), provides traditional retail and institutional asset management for clients in China.
- The other 51 percent is owned by Northern International Trust, part of Tianjin TEDA Investment Holding Co. , Ltd. (TEDA).
In June 2015, Manulife-Sinochem became the first foreign invested joint-venture life insurance company in China authorized to sell mutual funds.
John Hancock Financial #
|Type||Wholly owned subsidiary|
|Headquarters||200 Berkeley Street, Boston, Massachusetts, US|
- In 2004, John Hancock was acquired by the Canadian life insurance company Manulife Financial.
- Products: Life insurance, mutual funds, Long term care insurance, Retirement plan services, College savings plans
Sun Life Financial #
|Traded as||TSX: SLF, NYSE: SLF, PSE: SLF|
|Founded||1865; Montreal, Quebec|
|Founders||Matthew Hamilton Gault|
Products: - Dental insurance - Disability insurance - Financial planning and advice - Financial services - Health insurance - Institutional asset management - Investments - Life insurance - Pension plans - Retirement savings
Sun Life Financial Inc. is a Canadian financial services company; it is primarily known as a life insurance company.
- Sun Life’s Canadian headquarters are based out of the Regional Municipality of Waterloo, Ontario.
- United States
- Sun Life’s U.S. Headquarters are based out of Wellesley, a town in Norfolk County, Massachusetts and considered a part of Greater Boston.
- Sun Life’s portfolio of insurance products and services in the U.S. includes disability, absence management, life, dental, vision, voluntary and medical stop-loss.
- Sun Life in Asia
- Sun Life operates in eight Asian markets - Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam, China, Hong Kong, India, the Philippines and Malaysia.
- In 1995, Sun Life joined with the China Everbright Group to form Sun Life Everbright.
- In 2002, Sun Life Everbright was granted approval to sell life insurance in Tianjin, China, becoming the first foreign life insurance joint venture to operate in that city and its neighbouring counties.
- In 2011, Sun Life Everbright received regulatory approval in China to establish Sun Life Everbright Insurance Asset Management Company, only the 12th such license issued in China.
- Birla Sun Life Asset Management, now known as the Aditya Birla Sun Life Mutual Fund (ABSLAMC), is an investment managing company registered under the Securities and Exchange Board of India.
- It is a joint venture between Sun Life and the Aditya Birla Group of India.
- Sun Life entered the Philippines in 1895, and established its Cebu operations in the 1960s.
- In 1895, Sun Life began its operations in the Philippines through the representation of the H.J. Andrews and Co., a British trading firm.